Monday 29 June 2015

Fitter, Stronger, Leaner

Since October last year I have lost 2 and a half stones in weight.

This has been a slow loss, done sensibly, not a quick fix and definitely not a diet. More a lifestyle change. A combination of running and pilates, but also completely changing my diet due to a realisation I have a slight gluten intolerance, eating protein only meals for breakfast and lunch, juicing daily and cutting down my portion sizes.

Rewind to October and I felt tired, lethargic, bloated and had tummy ache most of the time. My BMI was sitting around 27 - I needed to do something and decided I wanted to do a detox - get everything out of my system and start again.

To kick start I read this book by Jason Vale, aka The Juice Master. It really made me think about the way I ate, what I ate and when. Written in a no nonsense, engaging down to earth way.
It also helped me to prepare for the next stage which was to complete a weeks juice detox, with the help of this book.
The detox went well, I didn't suffer any ill effects, headaches or feel like I wanted to chew my arm off!!! In fact by day 4, I didn't need as many juices as allowed, again normal as after all, Jason Vale's aim is to get you eating when you are hungry not because a book tells you or it is lunch time.

After the initial weeks detox, I then ate protein only for two weeks, using recipes from Turbo Charge.
My energy levels increased, I started running more, my skin was great, I felt motivated.

After the 2 weeks of protein only I slowly introduced my usual diet, but smaller portions, I then
realised the link between my bloating and belly ache and link to gluten/wheat products causing this.

Moving on I now have gluten free when it is the main ingredient, e.g. bread, biscuits, cake, pasta, pastry. Gluten free products tend to be expensive, so if I have biscuits I only have one, whereas before I could easily eat a full packet of Malted Milk!!
I start my day with a wholesome breakfast juice, eat protein only for lunch and a healthy dinner, usually a rice dish, pasta (gluten free), salad or sweet potato (in place of white potato). Dinner is a much smaller portion to what I used to eat, I also try to eat before 6pm although this isn't always possible. I feel so much 'better' - fitter, stronger, leaner.


So tell me....How do you stay healthy?
XX




2 comments:

  1. Well done ……. you have done so well. You must be feeling so much better. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I have gluten free diet and I do a lot of sports. Running and swinming makes me happy and helps me stay healthy.
    Have a lovely summer day!

    ReplyDelete