Thursday 18 February 2016

Great Big Wardrobe Shake Up

I have given my wardrobe a mahoosive overhaul over the last few weekends. I wrote here about simplifying belongings & life generally.

I have been really strict asking myself  -  Do I love it? Does it fit? Does it suit? But I think the most important one is 'When did I last wear it?'

Sometimes I'd have that little voice - you know the one, it goes "But I really like these" the voice of reason then would go "Ok, so you really like them so why haven't you worn them in three years?" Charity Bag!!!

I know some people do things like turn the hangers round when they've worn something, or tie a ribbon round the top of the hanger to help them to get rid of excess, but I know what I have and haven't worn.

I'm comfortable in my skin and with what suits and what doesn't. I have 'my uniform!' It turns out it's navy, grey & cream! Or striped as you can see.....


So here is my wardrobe before I started - I also have work clothes in another wardrobe. You can see everything is crammed in - there are more shoes under my bed! & the drawer below my hanging space. I pulled everything out of the bottom of the wardrobe to start, but left everything hanging up. I then just went through every item, one by one. Some stayed, some went...


Here's what I knew could go straight away. These boots to my Daughter - the Kurt Geiger I wear with smart trousers for work but they are starting to wear on the heel, my daughter loves them. The boots I haven't worn for years & really like them???? hard to part but they had to go!


Some of these shoes I am selling in a dress agency which I haven't done before, some for the charity shop. I know what I love and wear time and again in the shoe department - no rash purchases for me in future! It's ridiculous how much we accumulate - we wear 20-30% of our clothes 70-80% of the time on average. I would say that's me! What about you? 


Accessories going, being given to friends who I know will get more wear out of them, or again my charity shop of choice Help The Aged, who I am registered with for tax relief. The little denim bag has sneaked back in as I am going to a couple of festivals this year and it may be useful???


Going to try selling these at my local dress agency. Before Christmas I sold a few things on Ebay and got bit really hard. A Hush dress with tags still attached went for three pounds - I was nearly sick - that was just one item at that time. I am loath to put these particular items on Ebay.


You can have too many pairs of jeans, yes you can!! Other's will say you can't - but they is wrong!


These I will try on Ebay......ggggrrrrr. 


& here is my finished wardrobe, less cluttered, pleases me more than you could know, haha! Admittedly still shoes under the bed......the Sweaty Betty bag I put the bottom of longer items in so they don't get dusty on the wardrobe base.


This is my jumble of workout gear - cycling, running, pilates.....No wonder I can never find anything!


Here it is tipped out .........


Not very often I run every day, so here is what I decided to keep. I do need another pair of long running pants. That's the beauty in having a good sort out. It does help you to see what you need also. I am focussing on need not want.....hhhhmmmmm, let's see how long it lasts!

 Pilates wear - all keepers
 I often have a cycling holiday so best to hang on to most stuff, although some went, mainly because it was dingy.

Here is what went - I took it to work and it all went, lots of free technical t-shirts from doing races. I am always going to skip on the t-shirt now. 

 Trunk sorted! :-) This makes me happy! No frantic searching, with ten minutes to go from now on!


 I really enjoyed this sort out, it is really cathartic and almost addictive. The more I purged the more I wanted to get rid of. I actually became stricter with myself during the whole process.

I have had a few new items sneak in since I did this clearout which I'm going to share tomorrow. But they were purchases that I really thought about first, not rash purchases. This is how I hope to be now. In many ways I am becoming a much more considerate shopper.

Thanks so much for dropping by. I hope I've maybe inspired some of you to have a sort out yourselves - if you do, enjoy it! XX



1 comment:

  1. We are not short of options as far as email clients and services are concerned. There is a plethora of email clients from which we can select our favorite one. outlook error code 3253 However, MS Outlook still takes the cherry and continues to be the most popular email client on earth. outlook error code 17199 One of the primary reasons behind the popularity of Outlook is its compatibility with a wide range of devices like Windows, iOS, Android, etc. Despite being compatible the issues like Outlook App Not working on iPhone 2021 are reported quite often by the users. In this post, we have discussed all the solution to get rid of this issue. whenever if you face this solution then you need to dial Outlook Nummer to get instant support from technicians, they are available 24/7.

    ReplyDelete