Saturday 11 January 2014

For the Love of Running

Some of you may know I lead a running group, which I love so much.
 I inspire people to run, but actually it's a two way relationship - 
they inspire me massively.

 Until this last week I had not run since before Christmas. When I have a break my fitness drops so quickly - does anyone else find that?

So this week it was back to leading and I thought "I'm never going to be able to do it!" 
So, I got my bum in gear & I've run four nights running, including leading, 
covering 17 miles. Wowzers - what's wrong with me??


I love running, didn't used to, but now I run for fun & have learnt it doesn't matter if I can only go out for 10 minutes and walk for most of it!!

Running is free, doesn't impact on your day and you can be out the door whenever you feel like it and back 20 minutes later feeling virtuous...

When I run it encompasses so many other areas of my life. 
I up my fluids - no, not wine, water, think about what I eat and also look after my skin better (said before I'm lazy!) A good cleanse and moisturiser is needed as well as a refreshing hot shower after a run, especially in this cold wet weather we've been having.




This week I have learnt why you should definitely invest in a Sports Bra as I couldn't find mine and ran in my normal bra - I now have a graze where it has rubbed....


Its good to treat yourself to some nice attire to run in, you will run better - trust me - 
its psychological but worth it! I buy running gear from Aldi for cheap basics but for high end LOVE Sweaty Betty - would really like some Skirt Leggings but not willing to pay full price and keep missing out in the sale - always like their cycling and running pants with attached skirt - girly chic! ;-)


Trainers are an important part of your kit, but I would say don't rush out and buy an expensive pair, see if you stick to running before you part with your hard earned cash. 

When you know it is worth investing, consider a Gait Analysis. These are carried out at various sports retailers, but I go to a small independent retailer, himself a marathon runner. 

My footwear of choice are Brooks - they suit the way I run. Before I ran people always said you could wear trainers a size smaller than you would usually wear.
I am a size 6 - my trainers are 7.5 & perfect - don't go smaller!!


Did you know you should replace your trainers every 300 miles - not that I keep track haha!

A waterproof, windproof jacket is a must for anyone who becomes serious about running, along with a hat and gloves. I wear this jacket for running and cycling.


I don't profess to be a running expert, but just wanted to share some tips with you.
Here's me on my first run of the year - a selfie - yes I know!


“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” John Bingham



Who else runs? What do you do to stay fit?
Do you carry on through Winter?
XX





No comments:

Post a Comment